This is an exclusive, two-part interview with ex-Blackpool FC skipper, talisman and club legend, Charlie Adam. And this is also Charlie's first ever interview focussed purely on his two and half years in tangerine. The interview is over two hours long and split into two parts. The first covering his loan period, the Championship promotion season and the play-off final win at Wembley. The second half covers the Premier League, the pre-season and its aftermath.
Charlie will be joining the YouTube chat room which accompanies the live 'premiere' of these interviews and will be answering as many fans’ questions as possible, so be sure to join the live streams!
Click the links below and subscribe to the Seasiders Podcast YouTube channel to receive reminders when each interview premiere will be airing. You can also watch each interview back at your leisure after they have broadcast.
Part One - Sunday 7th February at 8pm
In part one, we discuss Charlie's time on-loan at 'Pool in the 2008/09 season, the 2009/10 Championship promotion campaign culminating in the 3-2 play-off final victory against Cardiff City at Wembley on the 22nd May 2010.
Part Two - Monday 8th February at 8pm
In part two, we discuss the events leading up to Blackpool's swashbuckling season in the Premier League, the season itself and the aftermath of relegation. Also discuss how close Charlie came to re-signing for 'Pool and the next steps in his career.
Interview questions and script
Here is the script of questions we used during the interview:
On-loan - 2008/09
- You moved to ‘Pool initially on loan in 2009 from Rangers with loan spells intermingled at Ross County, St Mirren. How did the loan move to Blackpool come about and did you have any reservations about coming to Blackpool?
- You’ve come from Rangers, one of the biggest clubs in Europe and then you’ve rocked up at Squires Gate for training - first impressions?
- 7th February 2009, you made your debut at home against Donny Rovers in a 2-3 defeat and you instantly endeared yourself to the home faithful with your “altercation” with Richie Wellens. Were you aware of his pantomime villain status at Bloomfield Road and did this influence the robustness of the challenge?!
- Following your three match suspension, you scored from the halfway line against Accrington in a reserve game. Tell us about that goal and when you pulled the same thing off on a slightly bigger stage at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League!
- Scored your first goal in tangerine with an audacious chip in a two-nil home win against Norwich - kind of a shorter version of your half-way-line special!
- Second goal against the Nobbers on the 11th April 2009 in a one-nil win away at Deepdale - which, following your tussle with Richie Wellens was another gigantic event to cement your popularity with the Blackpool fans!
- Were you aware of what the game and winning against PNE meant to Blackpool fans both before the match?
- And how did this West Lancs derby compare to an Old Firm clash?
- You signed for Blackpool permanently in the summer for a 500K and became our record signing at the time. How did the move come about and did you have any reservations about signing a permanent deal with Blackpool to play in the English second tier, coming from Rangers?
Promotion Season - 2009/10
- When did you first meet Holloway and what were your first impressions of him?
- How did you really think we’d get on and how did the £5 million bonus come about - quite unusual.
- The season itself had many highs and lows, key matches included:
- Beating Newcastle at home 2-1
- Beat Forest away 1-0, their only home defeat of the season, you scored.
- Swansea at home 5-1
- Scunthorpe away 2-4
- Peterborough Away 0-1, do you remember the away fans atmosphere at the end?
- Bristol City at home, final day, what an atmosphere!
- You were one yellow away from getting a three match ban in the run-in at the end of season. How did you avoid getting a yellow and did you actively have to reduce the aggressive edge to your game in any way to avoid that suspension.
- Play off semis against Forest.
- Home leg, we won 2-1 after going behind to Chris Cohen’s strike with you scoring a pen. What were your memories of that match and the atmosphere in Bloomfield Road that evening
- Away - a game that will go down in Blackpool folklore and is often cited as a lot of fans best ever game they’ve seen or been to, including the play off final. A pulsating match to watch, what was it like to play in?
- Both GTF and BBB have mentioned Billy Davies’s arrogant attitude in the build up to the play-off matches against Forest - as a fellow Scot, what was your take on this?
- Play off final
- What was Ollie’s team talk like?
- What did you feel like exiting the tunnel and walking out onto the Wembley pitch?
- Were you confident we’d get back in the game after going one down to Chopra’s early goal?
- Talk us through the free kick to draw us level - an iconic moment - were you confident?
- We went a goal behind in all the three play-off matches, behind twice in two matches, yet came back and won all three. What do you put this resilience down to?
- Were your Scotland calls-ups due to your form with Blackpool influential in playing so many games?
The Premier League - 2010/11
- Two bonus payment issues
- How did these issues affect you personally and the rest of the squad?
- Was the lack of signings pre-season a worry?
- No nice foreign tour, just a trip to Bristol to play Ollie’s mate and the “The two footed tackling waiter joining you for training”
- Going into the season, what were your genuine thoughts of the chances of survival?
- Obvious place to start is Wigan, what a day! How did it feel leading the team out to that wall of tangerine behind the goal - and your general memories of the day?
- Back to reality the next match, a controversial red card for Evatt and we were outclassed by a strong Arsenal side - but not given a chance.
- A mixed turnout in results followed, but one win worth a mention was the away win at Newcastle, a goal for yourself and DJ, who sealed a very good away win for the Seasiders/Parky?
- Liverpool away - Possibly the most memorable result of that season. How did it feel scoring at the Kop end ?
- Manchester City - two from Tevez and one from Silva. Controversial goals - expand.
- Villa away. You were dropped to the bench along with most of the starting 11 - Gilks, Eards, Evatt, Grandin, DJ, Crains, Vaughan, Fletch. What was Oliie thinking ?
- West Ham away - Gilks injury. How much do you think that impacted on the team over the 4 months or so he was out?
- Bolton away - game we should have won ?
- When we beat Sunderland 2-0 between Xmas and NY we were 8th with 25 points from 17 games. What were you all thinking at that point ? Did you think we might have done enough to stay up ?
- Jan transfer window. How close were you to leaving? Is it right KO told you that you couldn’t leave for Liverpool as they weren’t ‘ Top 4 ‘ ?
- Liverpool at home - another game that will live long in the memory of every Blackpool fans - atmosphere the best ?
- Man Utd at home - 2-0 up. Challenge on Varney. Fergie’s comments about your prowess at corners being worth £10m.
- After that we seemed to dip in form losing to many of the teams further down the league. What do you attribute this to ? Playing the players we signed in the window at the expense of the ‘ Old Guard ‘? ie Reid Kornienko Beattie ? Did that impact on the dynamics at all ?
- Blackburn away. Seemed to be cruising at 2-0 and then Blackburn ‘ stole ‘ a point. Talk us through how you felt when that went in and was said on the pitch to Richard Kingson before the free kick was played into the box.
- Spurs away and the famous double penalty take. Must have taken some bottle to grab the ball for the second time. The raw emotion after you scored was something that still resonates with BFC fans as one of the highlights of that season. What do you recall of that ? Another late equaliser then robbed us of the victory that would have kept matters in our own hands - Defoe in the 89th min.
- Going into the last home game v Bolton we had to win - and arguably it was one of the best games of the season as we edged out Bolton with you scoring what proved to be the decider in a 4-3 win.
- And finally ‘the Theatre of Dreams‘ for the last game.
- What was the confidence level like in the dressing room pre-match, given that United hadn’t lost a game at home all season!
- Talk us through your free-kick which put us back on level terms
- Goal by GTF put us 2-1 up with less than 30 mins to go. Did you think you could pull it off ?
- What were your emotions at the end ?
- Did you know it would be your last game for us ?
- Overall what would you say your best memory of that season and also your time at Blackpool were ?
- Who would you say was the best player you played against during that period ?
- And if you are prepared to be drawn on it, who was the best player you played with ?
- Your time at Blackpool will always be seen as halcyon days with many players playing the best football of their careers and with the team genuinely being better than the sum of its parts. What was the magic ingredient ?
- Do you have any regrets from your time on the Seaside ?
- Signed for Liverpool
- Signed for Stoke
- Signed for Reading
- How close were signing for Blackpool before joining Reading? Do you regret not signing?
- Signed for Dundee after Reading - were Blackpool in for you at all after leaving Reading?
- Plans for the future after playing?